- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1/8 cup pitted oil-cured black olives coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted capers, well rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/8 cup dry white wine, preferably Sicilian
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 swordfish steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil, roughly torn for garnish
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, wine and generous pinch red pepper flakes; stir together. Transfer to bowl.
Lightly season swordfish with salt and pepper; in a single layer, place fish in skillet. Return skillet to medium-high heat, cover and cook for 3 minutes per side.
When swordfish is cooked through and browned, cover with sauce and warm. Sprinkle roughly torn basil and serve. This dish can also be served room temperature.